Did you know that pulque and mezcal come from the same plant?In San Luis Potosí we have a grand tradition for the elaboration of these drinks that are a standard representation of our national identity. We will visit the communities that preserve this tradition and we will get to know the rural surroundings in the vicinity of the capital city.
we will enter the mountains where the first Spanish settlement was established in the state, San Miguel de Mexquitic. We will visit a community where Angel, Daniel, Manuel, Maria de la Luz and their families invite us to visit their vinata, or mezcal patio. During the tour, we will get to know the processes for the preparation and elaboration of mezcal using the campanilla, an ANCESTRAL technique that uses clay pots for its distillation, giving the drink an amazing flavor that sets it apart from anything you have ever tried before.
It is time to get back into the vehicle to where we will continue along the route of the potosino mezcal. Very close from the main highway, the little community of Derramaderos is located near the periphery of Mexquitic town. We will visit David and his mother Eufemia, better known as La Jefa del Pulque. They will take us to collect agave mead and, back at their home, demonstrate the elaboration of pulque, a fermented pre-Hispanic drink. We will take some time to enjoy a refreshing beverage in this beautiful garden of our host’s house; a space that invite us to never leave.
APPROXIMATE EXCURSION TIME: 4 hours
- We will visit the region of the magueyes and harvest some agave mead, a basic ingredient for the fermentation of pulque.
- Get to know the origins of this drink, experience the flavors and aromas of this ancestral production in a rural environment.
- Discover the campanilla technique, an UNIQUE distillation system with internal capture. A method that is an official Cultural Heritage of the State of San Luis Potosí (2020).
- Taste the flavors of the desert with the Mezcal award winner of first place in the National Meeting of Masters of Mezcal (2017, 2018).
- Let´s meet Doña Eufemia, the Jefa del Pulque. Let´s enjoy together this refreshing breverage in the high platue hot desert.
- Honey water
- Ancestral Mezcal
- Solar Radiation:
The sunlight of the potosino plateau is very STRONG. Wear your HAT, a cool LONG SLEEVE cotton shirt, some sunblock with 50 + UV solar PROTECTION and dark SUNGLASSES.
It is important to reduce the risk of dehydration in all excursions. We encourage the use of REUSABLE bottles. WE RECOMMEND: Nalgene, they are durable and of very good quality.
- Flora and Fauna:
Long pants, to avoid scratches from the cacti.
- Irregular Terrain:
CLOSED shoes with GOOD NON-SLIPPERY soles.
- Industrial Scenarios:
Our tours take place in some mezcal factories and taverns. It is important to take EXTREME CAUTION and at all times to follow the INSTRUCTIONS of the guide to locate yourself in safe areas.
- Communities and Culture:
We will visit rural areas where we have RESPECT for the local inhabitants and traditions, always be FRIENDLY AND GRATEFUL, always greet the locals.
- Flora, Fauna and Archeology:
The EXTRACTION of plants and animals from the desert is PROHIBITED, in addition to any ALTERATION in the historical structures that we will visit. In particular, we are AGAINST TAGS AND GRAFITIS on the monuments and the leaves of the Cacti!
- General State of Health:
18+ AND OVER:
SUSTAINABLE TOURISM POLICY
Do not forget that it is good to carry a little extra cash, not only for tips, but to BUY your bottle directly from the manufacturer. A fair trade that spills economic resources for the inhabitants of the rural areas visited.
Visit our Rules and Regulations to learn more information!
- PRICE WITH TAXES INCLUDED.
- TRANSPORTATION TO AND FROM THE MEETING POINT OF THE POTOSINA CAPITAL.
- GUIDE: SECTUR certified guide NOM-009-TUR-2002
- HYDRATION AND CALORIC RECOVERY: Water, isotonic drink, GORP energy bar.
- TRAVEL AND ACTIVITY INSURANCE.
- ENTRANCE FEES TO THE PROPERTIES.
- HIKING THROUGH THE AGAVES TO COLLECT HONEYWATER.
- THE PROCESS OF PULQUE.
- ANCESTRAL MEZCAL PROCESS.
- TASTING OF MEZCAL.
- TRANSPORTATION OF THE HOTEL TO THE MEETING POINT.
- TIPS FOR LOCAL GUIDES.
- ACCOMMODATION IN THE CITY OF SAN LUIS POTOSÍ.
- EXTRA ACTIVITIES.
WE ONLY OPERATE PRIVATE GROUPS AVOIDING MIXING DIFFERENT FAMILY NUCLEUS. WE DO NOT ADD OTHER PASSENGERS WITHIN YOUR EXCURSION.
TWO PEOPLE: $2,800.00 MXN
(up to 16 people)
AVAILABLE FROM MONDAY TO SUNDAY
SCHEDULE: 10:00 TO 14:00 AND 15:00 TO 19:00
TALK TO US, ASK FOR OUR DIRECT DISCOUNTS!
(SPECIAL DISCOUNTS FOR POTOSINOS WITH INE)