Hacienda de Peñasco
We will leave San Luis Potosí at 10:00 am where, 40 minutes from the capital city, a famous hacienda from the colonial era is still preserved. We will visit the hacienda of Santa María de Guadalupe del Peñasco, one of the first gifts that King Felipe III bestowed as a reward to the settlers to pacify and colonize the town of San Luis Minas del Potosí. We will learn about the artisan processes of maguey salmiana distillate, or better known as mezcal. We will properly taste the variety of traditional mezcal and learn to make simple cocktails. The patio of the property, surrounded by gardens and corridors, will be the stage where we will have a gathering and eat delicious gorditas potosinas. After lunch you will have the opportunity to discover some of the rooms of the hacienda, afterwards we will return to the city to arrive at approximately 3:00 pm at the meeting point.
APROXIMATE TIME OF EXCURTION: 5 hours
- Discover the artisan process of mezcal and visit the rescued hacienda of Peñasco.
- The cooking, grinding, fermentation and distillation are the different phases that culminate in a tasting.
- Learn how to properly taste mezcal, find those hidden notes that make it unique.
- Make simple and delicious drinks, surprise your friends with mezcal cocktails.
- Since their origins, the potosinan haciendas had integrated mezcal projects creating their own culture in the region. The railroad and the beginnings of the industrial revolution took them to the pinnacle of production. In its decline, the popular tradition hid among its taverns and small productions.
- Artisan Mezcal
- Tasting and Cocktail demonstration.
- Solar Radiation:
The sunlight of the potosino plateau is very STRONG. Wear your HAT, a cool LONG SLEEVE cotton shirt, some sunblock with 50 + UV solar PROTECTION and dark SUNGLASSES.
It is important to reduce the risk of dehydration in all excursions. We encourage the use of REUSABLE bottles. WE RECOMMEND: Nalgene, they are durable and of very good quality.
- Flora and Fauna:
Long pants, to avoid scratches from the cacti.
- Irregular Terrain:
CLOSED shoes with GOOD NON-SLIPPERY soles.
- Industrial Scenarios:
Our tours take place in some mezcal factories and taverns. It is important to take EXTREME CAUTION and at all times to follow the INSTRUCTIONS of the guide to locate yourself in safe areas.
- Communities and Culture:
We will visit rural areas where we have RESPECT for the local inhabitants and traditions, always be FRIENDLY AND GRATEFUL, always greet the locals.
- Flora, Fauna and Archeology:
The EXTRACTION of plants and animals from the desert is PROHIBITED, in addition to any ALTERATION in the historical structures that we will visit. In particular, we are AGAINST TAGS AND GRAFITIS on the monuments and the leaves of the Cacti!
- General State of Health:
18+ AND OVER:
SUSTAINABLE TOURISM POLICY
Do not forget that it is good to carry a little extra cash, not only for tips, but to BUY your bottle directly from the manufacturer. A fair trade that spills economic resources for the inhabitants of the rural areas visited.
Visit our Rules and Regulations to learn more information!
- PRICE WITH TAXES INCLUDED.
- TRANSPORTATION TO AND FROM THE MEETING POINT OF THE POTOSINA CAPITAL.
- GUIDE: SECTUR certified guide NOM-009-TUR-2002
- HYDRATION AND CALORIC RECOVERY: Water, isotonic drink, GORP energy bar.
- TRAVEL AND ACTIVITY INSURANCE .
- ENTRANCE FEES. TICKETS TO THE PROPERTIES.
- ROUTE IN THE PATIOS OF LA HACIENDA DE PEÑASCO.
- GUIDE IN THE ARTISAN PROCESS OF MEZCAL PEÑASCO.
- MEZCAL 1 OZ TASTING.
- COCKTAIL DEMONSTRATION.
- GASTRONOMIC POTOSí SAMPLE IN THE PATIOS DE LA HACIENDA.
- TRANSPORTATION OF THE HOTEL TO THE MEETING POINT.
- TIPS FOR LOCAL GUIDES.
- ACCOMMODATION IN THE CITY OF SAN LUIS POTOSÍ.
- EXTRA ACTIVITIES.