In San Luis Potosí we have a grand tradition for the elaboration of these drinks that are a standard representation of our national identity. We will visit the communities that preserve this tradition and we will get to know the rural surroundings in the vicinity of the capital city. We will have direct access to a factory that implements industrial processes to create a mezcal certified by the Mexican Regulatory Council of Mezcal, worthy of export.
We will leave San Luis Potosí at 09:30 a.m. and we will enter the mountains where the first Spanish settlement was in the state, San Miguel de Mexquitic. We will visit a community where Ángel, Daniel, Maria de la Luz, Manuel and their families will invite us to visit their tavern, plot or patio of mezcal. During the tour, we will get to know the processes for the elaboration and preparation of mezcal using the campanilla, an ancestral technique that uses clay pots for distillation, giving the drink an amazing flavor that differentiates it from anything you have tried before.
We will continue along the route of the potosino mezcal arriving at the mezcal factory in Estación Ipiña, a community located in the municipality of Ahualulco del Sonido Trece, where Julián Carrillo was originally from. We will visit the mezcalería, a meaningful project with a lot of soul that rescued the factory and modernized it to fulfill its oaths and make a semi-industrialized certified mezcal.
One of its brands: Júrame, is produced and packaged in the legendary mezcalería La Flor, proudly potosina. At the turn of more than a century of history, with this mezcal we affirm the bonds of work, cooperation and trust with a community that has seen the coming and going of hope. But, like the good maguey, here we continue to honor the tradition and miracle of mezcal
We will get to know the factory and have a tasting to discover the hidden tones of mezcal. After some photos and touring of its corners and hearing its legend, we will begin our return to the capital city to arrive around 3:30 p.m.
APPROXIMATE EXCURSION TIME: 6 hours
- Get to know the origins of this drink, experience the flavors and aromas of this ancestral production in a rural environment.
- Discover the campanilla technique, an UNIQUE distillation system with internal capture. A method that is an official Cultural Heritage of the State of San Luis Potosí (2020).
- Taste the flavors of the desert with the Mezcal award winner of first place in the National Meeting of Masters of Mezcal (2017, 2018).
- From its origins, the potosina haciendas had integrated mezcal projects creating their own culture in the region. The railroad and the beginnings of the industrial revolution took them to their pinnacle. In its decline, the popular tradition sheltered among its taverns and reduced productions.
- Mezcal Júrame, artisanal agave spirit awarded in the Spirits Selection by Concours Mondial de Bruxelles: 2019 (GOLD), 2020 (SILVER) Y 2021 (GOLD).
- Ancestral Mezcal
- Artisanal Mezcal and Certified: Estación Ipiña
- Solar Radiation:
The sunlight of the potosino plateau is very STRONG. Wear your HAT, a cool LONG SLEEVE cotton shirt, some sunblock with 50 + UV solar PROTECTION and dark SUNGLASSES.
It is important to reduce the risk of dehydration in all excursions. We encourage the use of REUSABLE bottles. WE RECOMMEND: Nalgene, they are durable and of very good quality.
- Flora and Fauna:
Long pants, to avoid scratches from the cacti.
- Irregular Terrain:
CLOSED shoes with GOOD NON-SLIPPERY soles.
- Industrial Scenarios:
Our tours take place in some mezcal factories and taverns. It is important to take EXTREME CAUTION and at all times to follow the INSTRUCTIONS of the guide to locate yourself in safe areas.
- Communities and Culture:
We will visit rural areas where we have RESPECT for the local inhabitants and traditions, always be FRIENDLY AND GRATEFUL, always greet the locals.
- Flora, Fauna and Archeology:
The EXTRACTION of plants and animals from the desert is PROHIBITED, in addition to any ALTERATION in the historical structures that we will visit. In particular, we are AGAINST TAGS AND GRAFITIS on the monuments and the leaves of the Cacti!
- General State of Health:
18+ AND OVER:
SUSTAINABLE TOURISM POLICY
Do not forget that it is good to carry a little extra cash, not only for tips, but to BUY your bottle directly from the manufacturer. A fair trade that spills economic resources for the inhabitants of the rural areas visited.
Visit our Rules and Regulations to learn more information!
- PRICE WITH TAXES INCLUDED.
- TRANSPORTATION TO AND FROM THE MEETING POINT OF THE POTOSINA CAPITAL.
- GUIDE: SECTUR certified guide NOM-009-TUR-2002
- HYDRATION AND CALORIC RECOVERY: Water, isotonic drink, GORP energy bar.
- TRAVEL AND ACTIVITY INSURANCE.
- ENTRANCE FEES TO THE PROPERTIES.
- TOUR IN THE ANCESTRAL AND INDUSTRIAL MEZCAL PROCESS.
- TASTING OF MEZCAL.
- TRANSPORTATION OF THE HOTEL TO THE MEETING POINT.
- TIPS FOR LOCAL GUIDES.
- ACCOMMODATION IN THE CITY OF SAN LUIS POTOSÍ.
- COCKTAIL DEMONSTRATION.
- TRADITIONAL FOOD OF THE ALTIPLANO REGION.
- EXTRA ACTIVITIES: VISIT TO THE DESERT / FIELD RAT (1 EXTRA HOUR).
WE ONLY OPERATE PRIVATE GROUPS AVOIDING MIXING DIFFERENT FAMILY NUCLEUS. WE DO NOT ADD OTHER PASSENGERS WITHIN YOUR EXCURSION.
TWO PEOPLE: $3,200.00 MXN
(up to 16 people)
AVAILABLE FROM MONDAY TO FRIDAY
SCHEDULE: 09:00 TO 15:00
TALK TO US, ASK FOR OUR DIRECT DISCOUNTS!
(SPECIAL DISCOUNTS FOR POTOSINES WITH INE)
Learn about our RESERVATION processes and policies!