Food Tour: San Luis Potosí City
Discover the original flavors of SLP gastronomy in a morning between breakfasts, distilleries and the most popular market in the capital city.
Authentic travelers and professional eaters will not be able to deny it. What better than discovering the city through its flavors? What better than an adventure outside the conventional and touristy, if not within the vibrant heart of culture and identity of the city? Let's explore the less touristic places, but the most popular ones where the locals live their day to day. Let's discover “fondas”, city corners and secret but delicious places.
✪✪ THE TRUE ✪✪
⋆ STAR OF THIS TOUR: ⋆
✰⋆✰ ¡ CORN ! ✰⋆✰
Start your day with breakfast like the champions! A tribute to corn and salsa with a sample of the variety of Huasteco dishes, the most representative.
Bocoles, tamales, tacos, sopes, enchiladas all combined with sauce, cheese and beef.
El Gran Tunal Distillery
Discover the spirits of the potosino desert in a secret distillery in the middle of the city; with a lot of style, originality and an air of clandestine alchemy.
Our inspiration: the great diversity of ancestral corn; proud Mexican identity.
The real market of the citizens of SLP: "El República"
Let's discover the most authentic cultural expressions among its corridors and stalls selling fruit, food, products and handicrafts with great tradition. The best of the Mercado República: its people and happiness.
Let's have a sample of pre-Hispanic flavors for breakfast. In the middle of the city, a railway line runs along an avenue. There, on Sundays, the most representative flea market of the capital city of SLP is installed: the rebound or better known as "las vías".
We will try a sample of the original flavors of the Huasteca Potosina region. Of Mesoamerican origin, the main guest is corn in a great versatility of forms. Bocoles, tamales, tacos, sopes, enchiladas all combined with sauce, cheese and meat. A breakfast of champions: coarse and nutritious.
After breakfast it is time to visit a clandestine distillery. El Gran Tunal is an alchemy project for spirits from the potosino desert. Go hand in hand with Tomás and Francisco, our hosts. Two unique distillates from the region stand out: a Güisqui (Mexican for whisky) made from ancestral corn and a prickly pear gin.
A little bewitched after drinking these desert alchemies, we will visit the “Mercado República”. Traditional markets are the most authentic cultural sample of a destination. The people, smells, colors, movement, chaos, noise, herbal medicine, handicrafts and the deepest-rooted traditions of the true inhabitants of this colonial city.
After touring its folkloric corridors, tasting the famous “enchiladas potosinas” and having the opportunity to buy a souvenir, our tour ends at the meeting point; same where we began our culinary adventure.
APPROXIMATE EXCURSION TIME: 5 hours
- If you have already visited the beautiful historic district of San Luis Capital City, get out of the ordinary and discover this gastronomic tour outside the conventional tourist sites.
- The State of San Luis Potosí is a destination of natural and cultural contrasts, and of course flavors. In San Luis Capital City all these culinary expressions converge, especially in its neighborhoods, “fondas” and markets.
- True tourism occurs within the daily life of its inhabitants!
- Discover the original flavors of SLP gastronomy in a morning between breakfasts, distilleries, and the most popular market in the capital city.
- Visit all the regions of the state of San Luis Potosí without traveling so much, in a morning full of flavors and cultural expressions of our favorite places in San Luis Capital City.
- Restaurant Huasteca Food.
- Distillery el Gran Tunal.
- Market República.
- Solar Radiation:
- Irregular Terrain:
- Urban Scenarios:
Please, make sure that your personal belongings are protected. It is not necessary to bring important documents or large amounts of cash with you.
- Communities and Culture:
We will visit some spiritual places where we must have RESPECT for the local citizens and their traditions, always be FRIENDLY AND GRATEFUL.
- General State of Health:
This type of excursion does NOT require EXTRAORDINARY physical condition, anyone can do it. It is important to COMMUNICATE to the guide any important personal health situation.
If you have any allergies, please notify us before starting the tour. Mexican food can be very spicy. But, knowing your expertise and tolerance, we can adapt the dishes to your personal taste.
The city of San Luis Potosí is nationally recognized for its inclusive tourism. We are very enthusiastic, that is why we have trained in the Diploma of Inclusive Tourism and we belong to the Ibero-American Network of Inclusive Tourism. Surely anyone can do this tour, it is necessary to book a private tour to be scheduled a week in advance.
- PRICE WITH TAXES INCLUDED.
- TRANSPORTATION TO AND FROM THE MEETING POINT OF THE POTOSINA CAPITAL.
- GUIDE: SECTUR certified guide NOM-009-TUR-2002
- TRAVEL AND ACTIVITY INSURANCE.
- ENTRANCE FEES TO THE PROPERTIES.
- BREAKFAST: SAMPLE OF HUASTECA FOOD.
- TASTING OF 02oz ANCESTRAL CORN AND PRICKLY PEAR DISTILLATE.
- TRADITIONAL SNACKS AND SEASONAL FRUIT.
- TRANSPORTATION OF THE HOTEL TO THE MEETING POINT.
- TIPS FOR THE GUIDE.
- ACCOMMODATION IN THE CITY OF SAN LUIS POTOSÍ.
- EXTRA ACTIVITIES.
SWE ONLY OPERATE PRIVATE GROUPS AVOIDING MIXING DIFFERENT FAMILY NUCLEUS. WE DO NOT ADD OTHER PASSENGERS WITHIN YOUR EXCURSION.
TWO PEOPLE: $2,250.00 MXP
PERSONA EXTRA: $1,100.00 MXP
(up to 04 people)
(Group bigger than 5 people: only available in the historic district* version)
AVAILABLE FORM MONDAY TO FRIDAY
SCHEDULE: 09:00 A 14:00
TALK TO US, ASK FOR OUR DIRECT DISCOUNTS!
(SPECIAL DISCOUNTS FOR POTOSINOS WITH INE)
Learn about our RESERVATION processes and policies!